Pages

Monday 25 May 2020

SVG Cut Files

I've recently had lots of enquiries from people asking if my papercraft templates are compatible with digital cutting machines. Up until now, I've only been selling my templates as PDF files, but that's all about to change.

I am in the process of converting some of my templates into SVG cut files and, I have to admit, it has been a lot less scary than I thought it would be.

The world of SVG files and cutting machines is all still fairly new to me, but I am enjoying the whole process immensely. I'm not sure at this stage whether I'll be able to convert all of my templates, but it all seems to be going well so far!

Here is my first finished teapot that I cut out using my Cricut Explore Air 2.

Esselle Crafts - Teapot Favour Box

This machine has the option of using a scoring tool, and it really does make the world of difference. For me, scoring by hand can seem like a tedious task sometimes, especially when I just want to get on with assembling the item and see it finished. But this got me thinking about some of the other cutting machines that don't have the option to score.

After doing some research into score lines, I decided to follow the trend and offer both solid score lines and small dashed lines (perforations) for each of my templates. I tried out the small perforations on my Cricut Joy, and the result was amazing! There was no lack of quality or strength in the structure and, as I folded the pieces on the reverse side, the small cuts were barely visible.

Esselle Crafts - Teacup and Saucer Favour Box

I have already converted three of my bestselling templates, all of which you can find in my Etsy shop, and I hope to be adding more over the next few weeks. So be sure to look out for my Teapot Box, Teacup and Saucer and Evil Queen Crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment