Pages

Saturday 24 April 2021

Winter Tree Box Card

Recently, I was given a huge pile of used greeting cards, many of which cannot be recycled as they have glitter on them. So, this got me thinking ... Could I create some upcycled box cards out of them?

Quite a few of the cards were Christmas cards, so the first one that I created was this winter tree box card.


All of the elements, including the main box card itself, are made from upcycled greeting cards. I used my Cricut Explore Air 2 to cut the box card out, together with a simple tree template, then cut the remaining pieces out by hand.

I started with the four panels, which I cut out of an old Christmas card. There were lots of other pieces stuck to it with foam pads, so I did my best to save as much of the lovely tree pattern as I could.

The larger trees started life as a picture of a red squirrel! Hard to believe, I know, but here is the card as I was cutting them out using the tree template.

The reddish-brown colours are so rich and earthy, and the little sprinkling of snow makes them perfect for a winter birthday card or a Christmas card.

With the little scraps of card that I had leftover, I punched some little trees out and glued them around the base.


From the back, you can see some of the handwriting from the original card, and I chose to leave it like this to show that it is upcycled and totally unique!

I took the gold 'best wishes' lettering from another greeting card, which I had to soak in warm water first to remove it. Then I punched a small oval out of another card, inked around the edges and glued the gold lettering on.

I am really pleased with how it has turned out; 100% upcycled and 100% unique!

Now, I just have a few more cards to sort through ...

No comments:

Post a Comment