Pages

Sunday 12 September 2021

Mosaic Desk Tidy - Easy Upcycling

Following on from my previous post, showing how to create hanging star decorations from used Christmas cards, the next upcycling project I'd like to share with you is this stunning mosaic desk tidy!

Mosaic Desk Tidy by Esselle Crafts

Again, I have used my old Christmas cards here, together with a few other greeting cards that I had saved, but you could just as easily use scraps of coloured cardstock. 


To get started, you will need: 

* used greeting cards or scraps of cardstock
* empty Pringles tube 
* white copy paper 
* small square punch
* scissors and craft knife 
* ruler and pencil
* Mod Podge
* washi tape

Watch my video tutorial showing how I made it, and be sure to follow the tips below:


TIP 1: As an alternative to a Pringles tube, try using a tin can. Just be CAREFUL with any sharp edges at the top of the tin!


TIP 2: If your greeting cards have glitter on them, try to use as much of this as possible, as it cannot be recycled.

Upcycled Christmas Cards by Esselle Crafts

TIP 3: When arranging the squares on the white paper, allow a tiny gap between each one. This will create a more realistic mosaic effect.

Mosaic Desk Tidy by Esselle Crafts

TIP 4: If you use washi tape to tidy up the top edge, it might help to use some strong glue or double-sided tape to help keep the washi tape stuck down.

Mosaic Desk Tidy by Esselle Crafts

TIP 5: Try adding some other shapes on top of the squares. I punched several small hearts out of any white glittery parts of the Christmas cards and stuck them to some of the darker coloured squares to make them stand out.

I hope you are now inspired to create your own mosaic desk tidies! It really is a fabulous way of using up scraps of card.

And stay tuned for my next Christmas card upcycling project!

Until then, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment